Saturday, December 26, 2009

Holiday Irritations

So many movies, so little time. The end of the year is in roughly one week, and there are still so many movies I want to see! There's just not enough time. In late November your teachers pressure you with "get it out of the way" endeavours (a Christmas concert and a math test or two to trip me over to say the least), and by the time December rolls around the Christmas season is in full swing: shopping, parties, being drunk off your ass, various events, family gatherings, etcetera, etcetera. And all the good movies have to come out now!

On top of that, a lot of these aforementioned good movies predominantly enter theatres in a limited fashion. I don't know how that works in the States, but up here, limited means the film is going to be in 2-4 theatres, most of the time of which you've never heard of, and are very difficult to get too. Hey some don't even appear in Toronto. Some aren't even in Ontario. Some aren't even in Canada! How does Hollywood expect to make money or obtain awards momentum if it's hopefuls only open in 2 out of 100 cinemas everywhere. I'm not going to mission to Ottawa to go and see Me and Orson Welles. And by the time these movies come out on DVD, Oscar season is almost over or *gasp* finito!




Just a minor gripe. Well more like a major annoyance. Also my huge amount of recent business is why I never update. Normally I update when there is very little going on in my schedule. On a regular basis this means once or if I'm lucky twice a week. Lately it's been never. Life gives no handouts, in time, money or cinema levity I suppose.
Movies I want to see that I can actually get too: Nine, Up in the Air, Zombieland, Whip It!, The Blind Side, The Messenger, Astro Boy, Men Who Stare at Goats, The Fantastic Mr Fox, Ponyo

Movies I want to see that will be difficult to catch: A Single Man, A Serious Man (!), Crazy Heart (!!), The Lovely Bones (!!!), Me and Orson Welles








No comments:

Post a Comment